Monday 14 May 2012

Creamy rhubarb tarts

I know; I know. It's rhubarb again. But its amazing! I love that bit of zing to tickle your taste buds once in a while!


I've decided to place rhubarb on puff pastries this time. and yes - I've already figured out that I am obsessed with puff pastry too. I came across this recipe the other day as I was looking for ways to finish off my rhubarb from the muffins I made before they started to go bad :(


For this recipe, it states to use crème fraiche as its base to give that extra "creaminess" to indulge you into rhubarb tart land. It has certainly worked in making the puff pastry less dry and adding some texture to it. Also, it hasn't seem to make my base "soggy".


These immensely easy peasy to make tea-time treats are great for desserts or parties. They are also super quick to make!

Here's the recipe; from BBC goodfood:

Creamy Rhubarb Tarts
Ingredients:
375g all-butter puff pastry
1 egg, beaten
1 tbsp demerara sugar
1 tbsp creme fraiche
2 sticks rhubarb, thinly sliced on an angle
2 tbsp icing sugar

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 220C fan/200C/gas 7. Roll the pastry out thinly and using a cutter, cut out 4 circles about 14cm in diameter. Using a slightly smaller cutter, cut out a circle out of the middle and trim away the outside border, reserving these trimmings.
2. Lay the 4 circles on a baking sheet, prick all over with a fork and brush the edges with egg. Use the pastry trimmings to make a border around the edge like a vol-au-vent and press down gently with your thumb. Chill until needed. This can be done up to 1 day ahead or frozen for up to 1 month.
3. In a small bowl, mix the demerara sugar with the crème fraiche and spread a thin amount over the base of each tart. Neatly arrange the slices of rhubarb, overlapping in a floral pattern (I was too lazy to do this and just slapped everything on!) over the crème fraiche. Dust generously with icing sugar. Bake the tarts for 20 mins until puffed and golden. leave to rest for a few minutes and eat warm. Delicious with a scoop of ice cream!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your special thoughts make me smile, thanks for dropping by! X

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...